Hey, Heathens. It’s time for another THORSday posts. Like the FRIGday posts, these are posting at least a week after a write them in order to give myself more time for writing while keeping them on their daily theme. Also like the FRIGday posts, we’re still going through the 30 Days of Deity Devotion. On that note, somewhere down the line, you’re going to start seeing pagan MOONday posts which will be about… Hel. Because it seemed the most appropriate day to give her. It’s not happening quite yet, as I’m still in the process of getting familiar with her, but she does seem to be a both under-represented and misrepresented god.
But hey, this post isn’t about Hel! It’s about THOR!
And it’s time to list the symbols & icons of Thor. Literally anything and everything that I can think of to represent him. This list isn’t researched in-depth and isn’t exhaustive; it’s a list of everything I could think of off the top of my head.
Symbols of Thor
- Hammer (especially Mjölnir specifically)
- Heavy rain
- This emoji: 💪
- Trees (he presides over sacred groves, so you’ll want to evoke that more than just any tree in general)
- Weddings & wedding symbols
- Beer & ale, especially in quantity
- Hand wrestling
- Cross-dressing (especially feminine presentation while sporting a full beard)
- The colour of red hair
- Goats, especially in pairs
- Goat meat
- Sacrifices made to build strength
- Brashness, anger, defensiveness
- Fragile masculinity
- Striving for besf
I admit there’s a lot of concepts in here, where “symbol” is typically thought of as an image, but, uh, that’s just how I roll I guess.
Feel free to comment: What symbols and ideas make you think of Thor?